Tuesday, November 15, 2005

This one is for Anne


This is my lunch from last week when I played tourist on Captiva Island. I explored the island a bit and then ate at the Green Flash. I have been boycotting the restaurant because it was built on the site of my favorite haunt when my folks lived on Sanibel way back in the late 70s/early 80s.
Timmy's Nook was a local's hangout...checkered table vinyl table cloths on old picnic tables, no a/c, and a handwritten menu on a black board. The fish was fresh caught, the fries hot and greasy, and you could look between the slats on the floor to see the bay gently lapping . The Green Flash bought the land, used Timmy's Nook as landfill and built this large, modern restaurant in its place. This is only my second visit to the Flash since Timmy's Nook was torn down in the mid 90s. The food was good, the service friendly and the view was dynamite. I still miss Timmy's Nook...it was home!

4 comments:

Ruth.E said...

You are making me hungry Jules. Looks so yummy and well, we have already seen the type of bloke you can pick up there. Perhaps the old place had a better calibre of men but the food sure looks good.
Ruth

Kip said...

Looks like a yummy Cuban to me!

Cindy Marchant said...

OMGosh!! That looks so yummy. I just came from Kip's blog and her's is making me hungry, too!

Doug Bagley said...

It's true what they say, "you can never go home again."
But I do like change--especially when things change back to how I liked them in the first place, :)