Thursday, May 18, 2006

Rock Stars I've Known and Loved


Ok, so I never really knew any rock stars! The closest I've ever come to that is having a boy friend in college who played in a rock band and sitting next to a minor league British band from the 60's in Heathrow Airport last summer on our way to Rome. But, in my mind, I've known lots! lol One of my students went on to play in a fairly well know blues group called Murder City Blues.

I always use to say that my claim to fame was the fact that I had front row seats at the stadium in St. Louis for the Beatles tour. Well, my boy friend of the month got them and asked me to go. I wasn't even a Beatles fan and had found it really tacky how some of my classmates seemed to go nuts over the mention of any of their names. And here we are, eons later and Paul is in his 60s and I'm not far behind.

As a child of the 60s, I went to my fair share of concerts, many without my parents knowledge (ah, only a minor 'bad girl'!). I saw the Supremes, The Mamas and the Papas (who gave some friends of mine who were sitting behind them at a restaurant after the concert some booze...one of my pals still had one of the bottles (autographed) at our ten year reunion I heard). I saw dozens of minor leaguers like Red Rubber Ball, Johnny Rivers, The Kingston Trio (after their prime time), but I never did see The King.

We have a friend who is a big Elvis freak. If you are reading this Steve, this one's for you!

4 comments:

Mae said...

oh, elvis! my sister's had tickets to see him here in lex., ky. but he died a week or so before the concert date. of course, they still have those unused tickets. such a loss.

mae

nickle831 said...

No Jules not the bad monkey! LOL Have a great day.

Tami Jones-Shumate said...

My first concert was PRINCE when I was 15 in Boston... the next one was BON JOVI when I was 17 in CA...

Just Me said...

I saw the Barenaked Ladies once, in Kingston (Ontario Canada) back in the day when they were not known at all..The tickets cost like $10 bucks! lol

A couple years ago, I saw Harry Connick Jr in concert *swoons* Just about 2 years ago, I met him in person at an autograph session... *sighs*