Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Birthday USA


I think I have put this pic up before but it seemed so perfect with its red white and blue colors against the sky!

I was thinking earlier this morning over my first cup of coffee about 4th. of Julys from my past and kept coming back to those of my childhood. I had to have been just 5 or perhaps even younger as my grandfather was still alive.

We would go out to my Uncle Harlan and Aunt Marion's cottage on the Cedar River outside of Waterloo, Iowa for the day. The men would play horse shoes and the women would play badmitton, sit on the porch on gliders and play cards.

I wonder if the old cottage is still standing after the recent flooding there. Thank goodness I have pictures of it.

I remember clearly my older cousin, Marcie, taking my cousin Doug and I through the woods on a path to an amusement park where, for a dime, we could ride the bucket swings and for another dime, have a pop or an ice cream.

To pass the time before the fireworks, we would divide into teams and play croquet. I was always partners with GaGa, my grandfather but I have no recollection of winning or losing...just the joy of the play.

And the food...oh my! and being given watermelon and my Uncle Edward judging the seed spitting contest. Then the fireworks which we kids watched from blankets on the lawn and the adults from the screened porch.

I want sparklers!

Have a great and safe 4th. of July!

1 comment:

Pam in Moncton said...

Perfect picture! Hope you have a great 4th Jules! I love reading your reminiscences of the childhood holidays.
Pam