Monday, August 11, 2008

It's Greek to me...



E has been on a Greek cooking binge lately and for that I am eternally grateful. Talk about a wonderful mix of flavors!

This is arni me kanela(accent over the e in the last word) or Cinnamon lamb casserole and is made with olive oil, lamb and cinnamon, of course, onions, clove, red wine, red wine vinegar, chopped tomatoes, seedless raisins, a pinch of sugar, a bay leaf, salt and paprika to garnish. It is often served with a Greek yogurt topping with cloves, salt and pepper. YUM!

The second dish is Spicy Aromatic Chicken or kotopoulo pikantiko (accent marks on the second o in the first word and over the a in the second). This one calls for chicken pieces, skinned, lemon wedges, olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, white wine, tomatoes, sugar, cinnamon, clove, allspice, salt and pepper, artichoke hearts and black olives. This one is a 'be still my heart' dish.

Slightly to the back in the photo is the Greek lemon soup. We first had this soup at the Greek food festival here in Tarpon Springs and it was so good that E just had to learn how to make it.

All of these recipes are from World Food Greece by Susanna Tee (Thunder Bay Press, San Diago, CA).

6 comments:

Chris said...

yummy looking :D

Carla said...

Oh......glad that I ate lunch before I came here our my mouth would be drooling......

Kip said...

All looks yummy as usual!

JulesinParadise said...

Anyone who wants the recipes, let me know!

Roz said...

You are making me hungry dear!!! I am sure you have no leftovers though. I guess I am going to have to cook tomorrow night.

Michele L from Tampa said...

you had me at Lamb!