Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sights of OldTowne St. Charles







Since I have been too sick to create lately, heck, I've been too sick to breathe deeply, I thought I'd share some of my beloved Old Town St. Charles, Mo. with you. (I am feeling marginally better thanks to some wonderfully alcohol laced cough syrup). St. Charles was the first capital of Missouri for a short period of time and, when I was in junior high and high school, this section of town was run down and the wonderful old buildings had been subdivided into cheap apartments and allowed to slide into disrepair. I am not sure exactly when the area began to be rehabbed but it is now a wonderful place.

E and I lived just across the river and it was our favorite place to visit especially at Christmas. We always made reservations for supper at Lewis and Clark Restaurant and asked for a table on the heated top balcony for Las Pasadas...a reenactment of Mary and Joseph's quest for a room for the night. As the couple playing Mary and Joseph would roam from building to building in Old Town being turned away at each stop, more and more people join the procession with candles. The journey ends at the pavilion where the village tree is lit and carols are sang. We would manage to finish supper just in time to join the throng at the tree.

Love this place!

4 comments:

altar ego said...

Hope you feel better soon, Jules. The Christmas journey in OSC sounds wonderful--I had never heard about it (surprisingly).

Toasting to your health from here with my tea!

Anne

Kip said...

I would love to visit there someday..perhaps when I retire!!!

Pam in Moncton said...

I hope you feel better really soon Jules! Love your pics from St Charles and from the corn maze.
Pam

Unknown said...

Really cool pictures! Hope you're feeling much better!