Saturday, October 29, 2005

Thank you Thomas Edison!

We have power after 5 long days and nights, voila! Let there be light! No more cooking on the grill, no more reading by flashlight or candle light (which, btw, loses it romance by day 2!). Thanks to our storm shutters, we had no damage to the interior of the house. It was hard though as we could not see outside to observe the storm's progress...we could only hear it roar and tug at us as Wilma swept through. We got tree damage from the back side of the storm but that also was minor.

I never thought I'd be so glad to hear my washer and dryer running! We were going to have to visit a laundromat if the power had not been restored last night. A crew of workers from Michigan worked all afternoon and well into the better part of the evening to make sure our stretch of the road had our power restored. There is one short part still without power but they should have it by tomorrow.

We caved and took hot showers yesterday at my sisters. Up til then our daily ritual was a quick run through "refreshingly" and increasingly cold showers or in the kitchen sink with grill warmed water. I can't wait to get into the shower today and just stand there in the warmth!

Will post a pic of e doing his epicurian thing on the grill later today. I missed my puter and communication with the world outside my doorway!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Welcome back Jules!! I have missed "seeing" you on the mb. I am so glad that you and your family are fine and have "weathered" the storm.

Rhonda
CKMB RhondaRoo

Ruth.E said...

Glad to have you back Jules. Was missing you. 5 days without power - no idea how you do it.
Ruth