Saturday, November 19, 2005

I met Patricia Neal today


What a red letter day for me and I thought I was just getting a hair color and trim! As I was leaving the salon, in walked a stately older woman who looked very familiar to me. She walked with a cane and another woman walked by her side.
My stylist turned to me and said, "Isn't Patricia Neal still lovely?". Patricia Neal! Amazing!

I told Ingrid, my stylist, that Miss Neal had always been one of my favorite "classic" actresses and that I love her in my favorite movie, "In Harm's Way" with John Wayne. Ingrid urged me to say hello but I did not want to intrude.

As I was paying, she and Miss Neal waved me back to her chair and she was so gracious. The voice is still the same, despite her 89 years and several strokes. It is firm, low and still sultry. She was and still is a lovely woman of dignity and courage having had her first stroke when she was in her 30s.

I met her son as well. She stays with him here during the winters and has her hair combed out at my salon. She took my hand in hers and thanked me so much for remembering her. WOW!

6 comments:

Thena said...

Ohhh, what a treat!! I wish I could have been there too!

Mackey said...

What an honor - she is such a wonderful actress and woman! I'm completely envious but so thrilled for you!!

Mae said...

Oh, my, how I love Patricia Neal. I think it is the voice. How gracious it was for her to invite you over. They don't make many "stars" like Pat Neal.

Mae

Unknown said...

That is so cool! Your ver lucky to have been able to meet her. As Thena said, what a treat indeed! :)

altar ego said...

What a treat! I'm so glad you had a chance to say hello, and I'm sure she was grateful for your kindness. I'm sure that aging actors and actresses always feel "nudged out" by the youth and glamor of the up and coming, and that it is a wonderful boost to them to know that they are still admired. Good for you for telling her so!

Ruth.E said...

Wow! That would have been so exciting. There is nothing like the actresses of old. I am afraid the actresses of today do not have the same style and grace and never will. I bet she was as thrilled as you to met a fan.
Ruth