Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Who's that knocking at my door?

Today I had e drop me off at the stamp art store for demo day. It had been months and months since I had gone last or done something like this just for me. He continued on to the track and hopefully many winning races.

Everything the owner demo'ed today seemed to be knocking on my door, both literally and figuatively. She showed some wonderful door stamps and great quotes like (paraphrase here) 'Sometimes we lose our way to our dream so we find another' and 'Every entrance has an exit" and the one I bought, "There are doorways I haven't opened..."

She also showed some old products and stamps and asked us to look at them in a new way. Now I understand this is a great sales tool but on my walk home (a mere 2.5 miles and I stopped for lunch...lol) I gave the whole morning more thought.

As much as I have enjoyed teaching at conventions, especially getting to meet and work with such wonderful women, I think it is time to close this door. I am pretty sure what I want to do is take a sabatical and figure out, what if anything I want to do next.

I am a far better teacher than I am a designer and there are many more teachers better than I am but that is what I love about what I have been doing...the teaching. So, I'll keep the teaching but what is the question.

I have a retreat in January and the most exciting thing about that is the ability to limit the number of students in my classes. I want to either stick with what I call 'boutique" teaching or teaching teaching to teachers.

I need some time to play. I want to take classes not always give them. I want to open myself up for new ideas, new techniques presented by someone besides me.

My husband, St. Gene of Paradise, has been his usual patient self and has allowed me to rant and rave and sigh and flail about. Guess he had more faith in me than I did because last night he said, "Why don't you just relax. If people forget who you are, so be it. (Did I mention I like that some people actually recognize my name). If you need to teach, teach or don't teach. You are retired."

So, about the one door closing and another opening quote I told my pal, Kellee about the other day on the mb...maybe I should take my own advise.

And as for door #1, #2, or #3...I pick not to pick ..at least for a while.

5 comments:

Kip said...

sounds like a good plan to me. I've been telling you for a long time that you need to relax and smell the roses more and enjoy your retirement and come up and visit your friends more, lol!

Kath said...

Do I get a vote? I want a vote. I think I should get one. Well, one way or the other, here it is...
take a break. You don't have to make any decision right now other than that you're going to take a break. Let's say 6 months. Just a break. Long about 4 months from now, mark on your calendar that it's time to re-think your decision, evaluate the last four months, etc. DO NOT think of it again until then - you're on a break (now, while they were on a break on "friends", the guy went out with another girl, so I'm thinking, if something slaps you right upside the head that you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do, you can take a break from your break and then get right back to it). That way, you're not making any long-term committments or decisions about your life, just taking a break. I think it's a great idea! JMHO. kath

altar ego said...

I concur. A break is in order, and to use that time (if you need to) to discover what you miss, or don't miss, about what you've been doing. And to open some doors and see what comes through them, or hear knocking on other doors. Every day contains an opportunity, and you never know which one may find its way to you! I'm behind you whatever you decide.

Ruth.E said...

Hello Jules, funny thing is that the picking and choosing and deciding what you really want to be when you grow up never stops. A break sounds like a good way to start and perhaps a full time 'on a break' is a good job right now. You will be great at critiqueing other teachers for a while and
learning new things. If flying wasn't so awful for you I would be suggesting a trip down south.
Ruth

Doug Bagley said...

Hey, sometimes a break is good. It helps us clear our minds and see more clearly what our next step, our next direction should be.
BTW, sounds like you have a great supportive husband. Maybe someday I'll find a woman like that.