Thursday, January 05, 2006

Year in Review 2005

Giving this a shot. After reading Kip's, Clare's and Ruth's, I wanna play too. Hope this copy/paste works.

for Nadine's challenge on
Two Peas for the New year:
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?

Traveled to Italy, flew to Cleveland w/Kip


2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I made any!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Petra had our Cabana Baby, Brian

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Not this year, thank God. I've lost too many members of my family in the four years previous to this one so maybe I am getting a rest.


5. What countries did you visit?

Italy and it was wonderous!


6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?

The knowledge that my family is well, happy and independent.


7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I'm with Kip...the hurricanes and our nation's poor response blaming the shortcomings on race instead of doing something about it.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Making the ScrapLovers DT and having a few things picked up for publication.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not keeping my mouth shut and my hands off the key board when I know better. There is no sense is taking on trouble.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

My knee which is probably arthritus related.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Either Minnie, my new laptop or our new home (put the money down and move closer to my dd, sil, ds andKath and the Kipster).

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My friend Anne who started her own business...very scary thing. WAy to go, Anne!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The monitors on the CKMB who allowed inequity and bullying to continue unabated and whose playing of favorites no matter how offensive these were has led to over 40 women leaving the mb entirely or posting only to "safe" threads. Sad.

Am also appalled with our gov't response to the emergencies this year and to those who involved us in a war that is none of our business.


14. Where did most of your money go?

Italy, scrapbook toys like the Wishblade, the new printer, the lap top, etc. etc. and I am not even going to talk about supplies!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Life in general, hanging out with my friends, being invited to teach at a very cool sb retreat, seeing my kids often oh and biking miles and miles.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005?

No clue

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? about the same, drat it.
iii. richer or poorer? no clue

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Scrapped


19. What do you wish you'd done less of? fretted over things out of my control.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? with family but my dd and her husband were in St. Louis and my nephew and his gf arrived stoned for Christmas Eve (see White Trash Christmas for details).

22. Did you fall in love in 2005?

Fell? am still loving that man of mine!

23. How many one-night stands? ah, that would be a negatory

24. What was your favorite TV program?

Loved Surface (anthing scary is fun), Lost (constant puzzle), The Biggest Loser, House, and Survivor.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Not into hate but there are a couple of gals I really don't care for....more their "I can do anything, say anything because I can" attitude.

26. What was the best book you read?

Reading Katherine Hepburns biography now and it is good but my fave of the year has to be Wicked and the sequel, Son of a Witch.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

That the only place I would win anything for singing is the Gong Show and I don't think it is still in production.

28. What did you want and get? Peace of mind and what I got was a mixed bag but that is life.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?

Wow...thats a toughy as we don't go to the movies and haven't rented one in eons. Probably Harry Potter.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

This is sad but I can't remember what we did on my b'day. I was 58 which is why I probably can't remember.

2. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? winning the Florida lottery said Kip and ditto says I.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? comfortable...

and fun...am into tees with sequins and sparkles etc on wine/drink glasses/fish/palm trees/ anything. And yes, I have become my mother.


34. What kept you sane?

My husband, the kids, my incredible girlfriends

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Not a celeb fan


36. What political issue stirred you the most? Again, the dismal failure of the US and it's President in light of Katrina and this ridiculous war says kip...ditto says Jules

37. Who did you miss? My stepfather, Papa Joe and my mom, aunt and uncle.

38. Who was the best new person (people) you met?

Not to slight the old and gold pals but the newest people I have met would have to be the Smoochie Girls, Lisa and Met....love ya!

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:

To save my time and energy for things that truely matter: family, friends, my love of the craft.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

Leaving on a jet plane (all the sb conventions I worked this past year)

3 comments:

Ruth.E said...

Excellent. I am quite surprised just how interesting these posts are. I know they do all the poll things on the MB which are ok in small doses but these "year in reviews" are really insiteful for both the writer and the reader, little bit funny, little bit sad, little bit thoughtful. Thanks for sharing yours.

Kip said...

Well I knew some of your answers would be the same as me cuz we think alike on so many things. I think life will just keep getting better and better and you know how much I treasure your friendship.

xxoo,
kip

altar ego said...

Aww, I'm so touched that something I did was a cause for celebration! Thanks for that, Jules. Everyone's responses to these questions has been so moving and thoughtful, not to mention inspiring. So glad that we shared some of the moments that made the list! Looking forward to more of those in this coming year. Love you, gf!