So, the message board that so many of us love is going to be shut down and a "new and improved" mb is replacing it within a short period of time. The new board will have a gallery (nice), and lots of bells and whistles (fun) and you can use the "Quote" devise to reference what others have said. That being said, I will miss the old board's intimacy...the small town USA feel to it.
I've met and become rl friends with so many wonderful women from this mb. The whole Cabana Crew originated on ckmb and that has lasted almost five years, give or take a bit. One of the reasons we were able to converse with each other was the sub post ability. This is lacking on the new mb. You can only quote what someone has said, not directly address it. That is my problem with the new mb. Is it the format? Yes, that aspect of it is what makes me sad. And I know most "modern" mbs are all set up the same as this.
Now, we come to my imputus to "get up outta my chair". I tried to make the transition from the old mb to the new and also started posting at a sister mb of ckmb that is set up like the old one. I posted a "getting to know you" on the new, made plans and announced them on both the old and the new for a "Farewell" party hosted by our very own Cabana Boy, Hank, on the last day of the old board and did a challenge at the SS sister mb. I was keeping my options open....the key word is WAS. I've decided that I will lurk at the new mb, join SS with great enthusiasm, and feel exactly whatever the hell I want to feel.
What has helped me make up my mind is this: in a nut shell, I resent the women who have done the following all wanting all of us to move to the new mb, leave the mb or not say anything (guess they are the only ones entitled to an opinion.
On the new board and the old I ,and others ,have been told the following:
1. to grow up, get over the old mb closing, and quit whinning....(and we are not entitled to our lack of enthrusiasm with the new mb or the sadness for the passing of a time?)
2. the Farewell party should not be that but should be a Celebration of the new board (it's my party and I'll say goodbye or whatever...and you do the same. Throw your own party)
3. there is nothing to feel sad about. Move on...(thank you for telling me what is appropriate for me to feel, Dr. Phil)
4. we shouldn't leave a mb just cause the format is different (but it was the old format that helped us to make the friends we have)
5. we should show how young we are and learn something new (ya, know what...I am 58, not terribly stupid, and I wouldn't go back to be "young" again for all the tea in China and since when, is learning something new equated with being young and vice versa?)
I could go on but won't (well, not right now). It is comments like this that are sending many women away from the new mb. Don't tell us how to feel, or what to feel or what to mourn or celebrate or anything of that nature; don't tell us to get with the program, stop our bitchin', and its just a mb. Come to the Farewell party, don't come...suit yourself but don't try to tell me what I should do. I am old enough to make my own decisions, feel my own emotions, and make up my own mind, thank you very much.
Sitting back down in my chair...for the time being.