Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The quest for serenity

Last night I wrote this whole long diatribe about the war, the Alaska pipe line fiasco, our local school district and the insurance companies here in Florida...and then I posted it in Jules'Creations. This is not the first time, I've done this, nor will it probably be the last. I deleted it from there and, since I was on my lap top rather than the main computer and was too lazy to attach the wireless mouse so I could copy/paste more easily, it is gone into the zephers, which is proabaly just as well.

I do want to post my suggestion though for dealing with the insurance companies here in Florida who are doubling and even quardroopling the rates for many of our coastal city home owners and even interior ones. If our Gov and his new committe that has been appointed to "study the problem" had any common sense, they would hit the insurance co. with this: If you do not offer affordable and reasonable homeowner's insurance in our state, you will NOT sell any other kind of insurance here! You have one month! The problem would diminish. Instead, the new committee has until mid Nov (about the time the hurricane season ends here) to come up with some ideas on what to do about the problem...sure, fine, uh huh !

Which brings up my title: the search for serenity. I took this picture a couple of weeks ago at the beach at sunset. I'm printing it out 8x1 0 and putting right next to Harry, my main computer, to remind me that there are so many things out of my control, that getting upset about them does absolutley no good at all. The Serenity Prayer has been a family tradition among the women in my family. My grandmother had a copy framed over her kitchen sink, my mother had hers in her bedroom, mine was in my bathroom where I would see it first thing in the morning before I would leave to teach the 'youth of America', and now my daughter has a copy I gave her in the same place. I think I need to copy the poem and print it over this picture. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

:Jayne said...

Will you run for governor of our great state? YOU are so right! Tell them, insure everyone or insure nothing!

Love the pic, goes along with my favorite Jimmy Buffet song "Trip around the Sun"

:J

altar ego said...

I love the idea of having the words to the serenity prayer on that beautiful picture. It can be really hard sometimes not to have our energy directed in ways that don't help us, though we also can't help caring about things that upset us, as well! In the meantime I hope you have a great crop weekend, though I'll miss having the chance to catch up with you!
xoxo