Sunday, August 05, 2007

Welcome to the Fried Green Tomatos Retreat...







Linda Jenkins, owner of Hilltop Memories, sure knows how to put on a scrap retreat. Although I have been a "Hilltop Gal" for more than two years now, I never cease to be amazed at the fun locations, the great crop areas, the far too yummy food and Linda's southern hospitality. She added a new crop this year in addition to the cruise, Creep Over and Winter Retreat and this one has to join the others in becoming a regular event...

We are staying at the historic Kenniworth Lodge (circa 1916) in Sebring Florida. The front porch of the lodge looks across to Lake Jackson and I have tried to make sunset each night with my glass of wine,rocking in one of the wonderful chairs and watching the lights twinkle on across the lake. It is a quiet moment and I then feel like we should all stand and applaud like they do in Key West at sunset at Mallory Square. The sunset is not as dramatic but so beautiful in its own way.

The crop has been amazing. The facilities are so lovely and I taught my class in the lobby which was really fun. This group of gals is far too much fun to teach and I should probably be paying them instead of the other way around as they are such a delight. (hush, don't tell them I said this...lol).

Kip got us a cabana room which has a sweet screened in front porch. We are on the pool and several of us had a delightful dip before dinner last night. Of course, we had to show off our aquatic skills with our Ester Williams moves. We mush have struck the other guests in the pool as too good to compete as the pool emptied almost immediately.

While the picture here is not of our cabana abode, it is one we are considering asking for next year. There is an entire row of little houses like this one with screened in porches, lovely landscaping and all are nestled among the towering live oaks that drip with Spanish moss.

The crop has been fun and I actually got some things done. I played with microscope slides and alcohol inks and will post the results soon. I also finished all but 2 pages of the "What I Did on my Summer Vacation" kit and have about 5 sign ups already...yeah!

For the most part, I hung out on the front porch a lot getting caught up with the pals I don't get to see often, teaching my class, and eating and eating and eating....lol

Kip and I will head back west sometime later this afternoon. We want to stop in the historic downtown as it has a town circle with small shops and a great view so watch for these pics sometime tomorrow.

Time for that second cup of java...love to all from Sebring!

3 comments:

Tya said...

Glad you're having a wonderful time. Sounds like a great place. Can't wait to see more photos! :-)

madelineas said...

So happy you are haveing a good time. The place looks great. Be safe driving home. Miss you

Liz said...

How fun Jules..