Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Fat Tuesday in Dunedin







There were tons and tons of people (haven't heard an estimate yet), lots of good food but not a lot of Cajun style, and a small parade with plenty of beads. The beer was cold and the crowds of people were friendly and fun.

I had taken a zip lock bag of beads of ours from other parades and had the best time handing these out one by one to people as we walked the streets. I looked for older people who were not smiling (and yes they did!), young kids who did not have any beads yet and husbands who looked like they had been unwilling dragged to this event. I must have had 50 or so strands of beads and am pretty sure I'll be doing this again next year as giving pleasure to others comes back in many ways I found.

We went down about 5:30pm., bought our mandatory teeshirts (17th. Annual Mardi Gras Celebration), roamed through the streets and had a bit to eat. We stood next to a very nice home care nurse who told us about a few other fun events in the area like a blues festival we had just missed and the Jazz Festival that was a must see!

Because E is so tall, he caught lots of beads for the gal next to us and me and even a couple for himself. We met up with Rob around 8ish and got to meet several of his friends. We were home by ten...no night owls here.

The masks I took pictures of were beautiful and I got the gal's card. The one of Venice (don't think I have posted a pic of it) was our favorite. These are the half masks and full masks of Carnival and so pretty! The artist was truly inspired.

Because I am cheap and will not pop for typepad, I can only load 5 pics at a time here...scroll down for another 5 of last night's festivities.

Enjoy today!

10 comments:

Carol A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol A. said...

It looks like yoiu had a great time Jules..and how sweet of you to hand out the beads the way you did. Wonderful photos!

Cheryl said...

I want to be you when I grow up! Thanks for sharing the fab pictures.

BTW, I made my announcement.

Chris said...

soo cool love the masks!!

Linda said...

We love Mardi Gras here in Cajun
Country! This year we parked our
camper on the parade route on Friday. A total of 8 parades roll by. It was so much fun and so convenient for the grandkids. We
caught a wagon full of beads and trinkets for every parade. New Orleans is the ultimate for Mardi Gras but Lafayette is great and very family oriented and cajun food on every corner. Come over some time.

Cindy Marchant said...

Oh looks like you had a blast!!!! I just talked to my DB in NO and a good time was had by all!

Angie said...

Jules, in my next life I want to be you! LOL! It looks like you and E had a blast. The pictures are beautiful, I love the masks.

Deb said...

Looks like so much fun Jules!

Deb said...

Looks like so much fun Jules!

Doug Bagley said...

Looks like blast. Ever been to Universal's party?