Friday, March 21, 2008

Lovin' Small Town Livin'







When I was a child and would spend summers with my grandmother in Waterloo, Iowa, I lived a charmed life. I could ride my bike to the library and take a bus to go out to lunch with my aunt who worked for the newspaper. I had friends nearby and we would swim every day at the local pool. Evening were my favorite as all of us in the neighborhood would play games on the boulevard and hide and seek in the alley. At least once a week, my grandmother and I would walk the two blocks to Burn's Park for an evening band concert or drive out to the airport to watch the planes land and take off.

Living here in Tarpon Springs brings back so many of those wonderful memories. I ride my bike to town to the library or up the street to get my hair cut. We've walked to the grocery store and try to shop locally in our little town. From Feb. through November, there are band concerts held in Sunset Park which is a tiny place with a beautiful view of Howard Park and the bigger beach on one hand and Anclote Key and the light house on the other.

Last night's band concert under the stars was our first but will certainly not be our last. The group performing, The Fiddlers Matrix (hope I got that right) was a good group of American/Irish fusion and, had we dressed warmer, we'd have probably stayed through the whole concert. We left at intermission.

The whole event was so wonderfully small town with everyone from all ages represented from snowbirds to locals. The sunset stole the show though and the full moon peeking through the cotton candy clouds put the cap on the evening. We were also entertained by kite surfers who wove in and out of the waves and even performed some acrobatic feats for us.

Fun time and we will be back as often as we can!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg...look at that kite surfer!! What amazing photos!

:Jayne said...

You do bring back many childhood memories from my midwestern background also.
You had a gorgeous evening. I'm glad you and E enjoyed it.
:J

Pam in Moncton said...

Sounds absolutely delightful! How's your foot?
Pam

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Miss Jules. Found a link so popped over for a visit. Love the photos

Unknown said...

How wonderful! Love the pictures and what a great post! Enjoy your holiday!

Chris said...

beautiful pics!!