Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Tues's Bike Ride : The Golden Crescent


That is what the brochure I picked up from the Chamber of Commerce calls the area surrounding Spring Bayou. These are beautiful and, for the most part, well preserved and restored, Victorian mansions built by rich northerners who wintered here in Tarpon. I had several more I wanted pictures of but my camera battery died mid way through my adventure. Directly across the street from these beautiful homes are the docks for the boats on Spring Bayou which leads out, eventually, to the Gulf.

One of the things I love about this little town, and this area in general, are all the all Live Oak trees dripping with Spanish moss (also known as Spaniard's beard). These trees give such a southern flavor to the area that we didn't have in tropical Ft. Myers. Each area has its own allure.

I did 9 miles today...one more than yesterday but had to circle our block twice to get in that last .56 of a mile to break yesterday's 8.

Hoping to hit the downtown area for you tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I need to get some yard work done and some organizing here in the work room.

Hope you have a great day!



3 comments:

Liz said...

Gorgeous gorgeous

Liz said...

LOl yes bad carbs at that...hehehe

Carla said...

Wow those are some nice houses for sure. Glad that you enjoyed your bike ride.