Friday, October 03, 2008

Lovin' the Fall







Our plane was ten minutes early on Wed. when we arrived and Steve was right there with hugs! We headed out towards Lake St. Louis, stopping for some toasted ravioli (a distinctly St. Louis treat) and some thin crust pizza on the way. We got up early Thurs. morning and took a wonderful 3 mile walk around Steve's area. While the leaves are just starting to turn, there is color enough for me to get some shots.

We visited with Gene's mom and took her out for her 91st. birthday at Cracker Barrel, one of her favorite places. She and I each got a salad and the sweet waitresses sang to her. It was good to see her and she looks well.

Our next stop was to visit with my poor dad who is back in the hospital with pneumonia as a result of his chemo. He looks thin and tired but his spirits are high and he has a positive attitude. He has decided to continue the chemo but the dr. is spacing it out a bit more with lesser doses. We will try to connect back to both of our parents later in the week.

We joined Steve who was our guide to small, quaint and sometimes downright odd pubs in the Warrenton/Lake St. Louis area. We made new friends in a few of them...lol. While we were trying to decide where to go for supper, we called Kelly and Jill and, despite no answer on their phones, we stopped by their house anyway. Kelly was home and we went to a place in his town, Troy, called Mustang Sally's. I had one of the best pork tenderloin sandwiches I've had in a long time. Jill and her sister had been working the Homecoming Parade at the high school where Jill is an assistant Principal but we were able to visit with them for a bit too.

Right across the street from Mustang Sally's was the cutest little scrapbook store. I sent the boys ahead to the restaurant and looked around. The owner's mother who was tending the store was a sweetheart and we chatted a bit. The owner, Becky Beisner, has done a great job arranging her store. It is warm and inviting and the displays are well done. A bit of a bus man's holiday here.

I am hoping to hit Red Lead Paper in Kirkwood/DesPares before I head home. It was voted the Best of St. Louis earlier this year for Scrapbook, paper and art supply! That one is a MUST see.

Today, after a walk, we're heading to Old Town St. Charles for me to fill my soul. We always get specialty coffees at Figuaro's and I have to get my Flower Peddler fix! I'll park the boys at the winery or one of the many bars and then shop my way through the many little shops. I never tire of Old Town. We have friends from school meeting us around 4 for drinks and then on to dinner. DeeDee arrives sometime from AZ where she has been attending and presenting at a big meeting for her company. I've missed her!

Will try to post more tomorrow but we are heading out to the wineries around 11. Love to all!

1 comment:

Pam in Moncton said...

Jules it seems you are having a most successful trip! Meeting up with family and friends and restaurants and even scrapbook stores. Not to mention some fall colour! How fun! Glad you are having a good time. Your Romanza album looks absoultely gorgeous!
Pam