Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Things I have learned living 61 years

1. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

2. Associate with people who like you for who you are and not for what you can do for them.

3. If you put yourself out there for someone and get treated unjustly, give that person one more shot. If the same results occur, move on. After all, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results (and thanks Barb hon for reminding me of this).

And, in tandem, don't treat me like crap and expect me to thank you.

4. The best people to have with you on this journey have a gigantic sense of humor and a small sense of angst. Laughter enriches us and angst wears us out!

5. Sometimes a day in the life is just that and nothing deep or spiritual or anything that requires great thought. Sometimes just being is all it takes to "have a great day" (insert smiley face here)!

6. Surround yourself with smart and well informed people. It adds points to your IQ trying to keep up with them. Everyone has value but find those that support yours.

7. When someone asks you what you think about something, it is often best to decline to comment unless you know them well enough to know that person really does want honesty from you. I no longer fill out random evaluations or critiques for this very reason. Most times they really don't want to know.

And conversely, have three people in you life whom you trust to tell you the truth and listen to them!

8. Try something way out of your comfort zone if not daily at least weekly. If you do the same thing, stay in your comfort zone, you don't grow and we are capable of growth til the day we die.

9. Family is first then those you trust enough to call extended. Take good care of both.

10. Practicing "This is not my problem" does work.

11. Support your friends in what they are up to in their lives. What goes around does come around.

12. Pick your battles carefully. The only result of a pissing contest is wet shoes.


NOW, share a few of your 'rules' of living with me, please!

5 comments:

Ginni C. said...

Excellent!
Here's a couple of mine:

Someone else's opinion of me is none of my business.

It you spot it, you got it.

Everyone knows something I do not, therefore, if I let them, every person can be my teacher.

Kip said...

Great advice there Jules and thanks for the compliment!! I missed you guys too and can't wait for Winter Retreat when we're all together again.

My bit of advice to add would be- don't try and rewrite your history as it will come back to haunt you everytime. People know and people remember.

Kip

Chris said...

you said it sister!!!!! great advice

:Jayne said...

Again I know why I call you friend. So wise you are!

Advice I can learn from and follow.

:J

eljay716 said...

I like Ginni's and Kips too! great blog entry. thanks I am coping this and the comments and keeping them in my little book.