Thursday, July 19, 2012

Morning Walk on Estero Island (day six)

 Walking along the beach this morning reminded me that it is turtle season.  I read in the paper the other day how Tropical Storm Debby has decimated so many of the nests.  I was privileged a few years ago while down here to see a turtle nest being opened.  The Turtle Patrol here monitors  the nests and one needed to be evacuated.  The number of unhatched eggs was meticulously recorded, the number deformed or dented as well.  And then, just as the woman was ready to close up the nest, there was the tiniest of movements and a baby turtle 'swam' his way to the top.  The woman carefully picked the baby up and let the two or three of us who had stopped our journey to watch feel the baby's feet as it pushed against our fingers.  That little one was strong.  The lady told us that the baby turtle would be returned after dark to the exact spot of the next and 'assisted' into the surf, wished well and sent on its way.

 I walked about 5 miles total today and would have done more I went to roam through this

I was instantly covered with blood sucking mosquitoes. 

On my cut back to the beach, I discovered a sweet little lane paralleling the beach road but back a block and secluded.  This is the Florida I remember from visits to my folks when they lived on Sanibel Island...little cottages dating from the 20's-60s and many are still there and lived in.
Today, I headed to the cemetery to decorate my parents and my auntie and uncles resting places.  I briefly stopped to visit with friends from another time in my life.  I have missed these two gal pals. I put 3 silk roses next to my parents nitches (my mother loved roses) and a silly pink flamingo that I knew would put a smile on my mom's face . She played more than one prank on me with flamingos.  I put a pretty wreath on my aunt Marion and uncle Harlan's.  There vase is missing and, if my sister does not have it, I need to call the cemetery about this.

We have our favorite neighbors from the old neighborhood here coming for dinner.  The four of us, Ed and Deb, E and me, survived more than one hurricane together, signaling across the street to make sure the other couple was aok.  We'd make the coffee on our grill in the mornings (we lost all power each time for at least 5 days), cook dinners together and celebrate the return of power each time.
"Good people like Ed and Deb don't come along every day.  I did my longest bike ride ever (and probably one of Deb's when she and I biked the 17 mile route on Gaspirilla Island...with a couple of beach bar stops for refreshments, of course.  And we were stared down by one a huge iguana!  Oh, and then there was the Christmas decoration competition...each year we would do more and more hoping one year to catch up to Ed and Deb.  I miss this.

Busy week coming up starting tomorrow...Susie and Justin arrive tomorrow evening; Sat.  Jadee, her mom, her two girls, Cheryl and John, Kelly and Jill and their little guy all arrive here.  Sunday, Kristen and Chris arrive with my oh so darling Grands, Justin and Susie have to depart.  Monday, our lovely Linda arrives and our Week 29 is complete...with five friend filled days to go.  We are missing Kim and Mitch and thank them so much for offering their larger unit to Chris and Kristen for the week.  Soon, Ms Kim...soon.

Watch for our traditional "Toast to the Working People" of the oldest traditions of Week 29...let the fun begin.

1 comment:

LyndaKay said...

Super interesting post. Wishing you blue skies and warm surf.