Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Return to First Grade

I feel like a stunt stand in from Kindergarten Cop...you know, the movie where the K students run poor Arnold ragged. I managed to survive day 2 with my daughter's class. It was actually a smidgen better than yesterda. The child who screamed for what seemed like an eternity yesterday only had one melt down in class today. The little boy who has worn the same uniform shirt for the past two weeks had it on again today but his mother (or so he said) hung an air freshner in the shape of a Christmas tree around his neck (I kid you not). The student who was absent yesterday got almost all caught up and I, once again, taught first grade math without doing irreperable damage to their sense of numbers.

Kristen asked me two questions today that made me think for a bit (like 2 seconds)
1. Did I miss being in the class room? HELL NO! I love deciding each morning if I want to be productive, creative, amusing or just me and wear my jammies all day long.
2. What was harder: teaching first grade or high school English? First grade by a long shot...at least I changed students every hour on the hour and I didn't have to blow their noses.

Tomorrow is a half day and yes, I am drinking again!


For Julie Comstock: I apologize for getting confused and marrying you off to the UPS account man, David, and hope you will not be arrested for bigamy. I am sure you husband will understand and will you be hyphenating your last name now? Sign me, stunned from working with first graders for two days!

P.S. Julie is only married to one man, her honey!

4 comments:

elle said...

Too funny Jules! But glad you're enjoying yourself!

What's up with the Christmas tree air freshener? It actually sounded sort of sad.

Hope all goes well for the half day tomorrow, it will all be over soon!

peace,
elle

Amy said...

Sounds a lot like my class this year! I have a rough group this year! I am looking soo forward to Thanksgiving break...hang in there for tomorrow!

Michele L from Tampa said...

How sad for that child to have the same shirt on and then to hold back the smell hung a air freshner on it. I just wanna slap that woman!Wash it, if you do not have detergant use soap. I hope older kids did not see it and make fun of him. Poor thing!

crazydarla said...

All I can say is thanks for the smiles today. HUGS Darla