Friday, November 23, 2007
Kristen's first Thanksgiving
We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. The kids outdid themselves with their first TG at their house. The food was divine and the company even better!
Years ago, when I was freshly separated from the kids' dad, the kids and I reinvented Thanksgiving and other holidays to make them 'ours'. One of the things I insisted on was that I not do all the cooking and all the clean up which had been the case with our previous family TGs. We made some decisions and came up with a game plan which, in part, we still follow to this day some twenty-five years later. We each cook our two favorite dishes; we turn off the t.v. and play games and we all pitch in to clean up. I don't think the kids realized how much work it was especially when their dad would invite lots of family over and I would do it all. Then everyone would retire to the family room and watch football while I cleaned it all up....I had grown to despise TG. When the kids and I reinvented the holiday, it took on such joy and we all had such fun.
We had a bit of a time convincing E when he joined our merry band, that he did not have to do it all! But he has come around to our way of thinking
1. Kristen and Chris' newly redecorated dining room was lovely and sparkled with her china and crystal.
2. Rob made his infamous smashed potatoes and was wondering where the sweet potatoes were
3. Chris cleaned, stuffed, baked and carved his first turkey under the tutelage of E
4. Kristen won at poker even though she had no clue what she was doing...beginner's luck...but Rob had the most chips...Mr. Fold is his new nic name!
5. I "made" the rolls...I do less and less each year and love it more and more!
6. Kristen's apple crumble pies rocked.
To my friends, may you find your holiday nitch. To my family, you make my life complete.
Hope yours was a great one!