Thursday, August 07, 2008

Move over Coastal Living magazine


Gloria had Sandy and I over for lunch and conversation today and what a fun afternoon. Gloria had set up her coffee table with a table cloth fit for a beach picnic straight from a Coastal Living magazine photo spread. Candles and shells were festooned around the food which was a delight in itself and the wine only enhanced the conversation which covered everything from an upcoming Trash to Treasures sale at the Dunedin Arts to our children and education.

Before we could even begin our chatting and supping, Gloria's lovely neighbor came over all aglow! Her boyfriend has just proposed and did it in such a creative way, she wanted to share this with Gloria and us too as we were there. The young man in question (young to me...he is probably in his mid 30s) had lined the house with a path of Hersey's kisses leading to her shower which he had filled with roses. Inside the shower was a note that read, "Now that I have kissed the ground you walk on and have showered you with roses, will you marry me"? Now that rates a 10 on the creative popping the question quota in my book...we all congratualated him on his romanticism and his choice of bride to be! Now that is an AHHHHHHHHHH moment if I've ever heard of one.

I still remember how E proposed to me. We had been together for about a year and had picked out the rings but had them put away. I hadn't seen them since we bought them . It was Valentine's Day and we were working. E got down on one knee after he brought us both our morning coffee and said didn't we think it was time to make it official....yeppers! I sure did! This moment the couple shared with us, one a close neighbor and two complete strangers, brought my own engagement back so vividly. Thank you both. (share your engagement in a comment here if you would please or anything else you'd like to share).

Lunch was wonderful, the conversation sparkling and the company a delight! Sandy gave us each a darling mini book she made with lots of hidden pockets and sliding tags...many thanks to both of you for inviting me to share this day with you.

And now to start on the book for the upcoming Book Club meeting...and Sandy, I promise to behave as well as you so we both get invited back! lol



7 comments:

Michele L from Tampa said...

wow that was sickening sweet proposal! that is a beautiful table set up

Mary B said...

ahhh...how sweet. We got engaged on Valentine's Day, but there was no "special" proposal. We went ring shopping that day and decided let's get hitched. We didn't even choose Valentine's for any special reason, it just happened to be the day the wholesale jewelry show was in town in Orlando (DH's step-mom had a wholesale license at the time.)

Kath said...

OMG, how wonderful a proposal was THAT??? Bobby asked me to marry him on Valentine's Day, also, but it wasn't so romantic - we were talking about college and stuff and he just said, "I don't want you to go away to college. Why don't you just stay here and marry me?" So, I did. Should have gone to college, LOL (actually, couldn't afford college anyway). Still glad I married him, this some 34 years later)
Kath

Carla said...

WOW all that food looks yummy, Im glad that I ate lunch before I checked your blog or my mouth would be watering! LOL

Roz said...

WOW...what a wonderful afternoon. Gary and i got engaged at what I think has to be one of the most beautiful spots I have ever been to. We were having a sunset picnic at the top of Prospect Hill (in Chilmark, Mass...Martha's Vineyard). It is the highest spot on the island, and has a 360 degree view of Cape Cod, the Elizabeth Islands. Sunsets there are spectacular! We were having a lovely picnic...and it was beautiful!

Ruth.E said...

That is too romantic. Jason kind of said 'do you wanna' and I said 'yeah why not'.....I thought we were mucking around but it was the real deal. We are very laid back here.

Sorry to hear about your dad Jules.
Ruth

Jenelle said...

What a spread, sounds like you had fun!